Sunday, March 22, 2015

The First of My Lasts

Hey! It's been a great week filled with the spirit and many finding opportunities. We are on the hunt for new investigators and have been trying to clean out the area book as well. We have contacted quit a few people said we could come back so that is good news :) We also got a call from a guy this week who said he was visiting from Utah and wasn't a member but had been taking the discussions. He will be here for two months and wants to continue taking the discussions! So that is cool and we will get to meet him this week :) 

We have really been praying and fasting to find new investigators and work more closely with the ward. So we have finally been receiving names from people to go visit and some people are asking us to do their visiting teaching with them so that is progress! It's coming along well. We teach a lot of recent converts and less actives as well, so we are having lessons, just not as many to non members as we would like. But hey, it doesn't matter who you are helping as long as you are inviting others to come unto Christ :) And as we help those people, then they will want to share it with their friends! So it all works out. The biggest miracle and focus right now has been just working together better. 

This week I also had my last zone conference ever....sad day. It was the worst because President made those of us going home stand up and then bear our testimonies at the end. So I hardly ever cry when I bear testimony or speak anymore (you know I used to all the time) and I feel that that is a blessing that God gave me while I am a missionary so that I wouldn't look like a drowned rat all the time with a puffy face! haha He knew that no one would let me in if I cried everytime I felt the spirit...which is like all the time. SO, he blessed me that I wouldn't cry so much. But the closer I get to the end of my mission, the more I feel that being taken away and it's the worst! haha I hate crying! But it's ok, it's going to happen a lot here in the next few weeks. So zone conference was really good and it was focused on being better teachers and really teaching by the spirit. There is an emphasis on Preach My Gospel. Elders tend to get caught up in a lot of deep doctrine and studying that while they are missionaries, and President feels that is causing us to not be as good of teachers as we should because in general we aren't focused on the basics and fundamentals of the gospel. So it was good to discuss getting back to the basics. I love just studying from the scriptures and doing the exercises in Preach my Gospel. It's something I will continue to do even when I get home :) (well i hope). So that was a really good meeting. We also talked a lot about technology. That is the future of the church and it is crazy to hear all the things that are happening! We are having a meeting this week that will explain more, but technology is the future my friends! So ya, it's been really good. 

We had a good lesson with one of our investigators on temples. He said he had been thinking of November 1st for his baptism, but he wasn't sure because it was so far away. He then said it had to be a special occasion so that he would remember it. I mentioned Easter and he said, "No!" I asked why and his response, "Cause I didn't think of it." haha. what a stubborn old man! I then told him that he would forget I mentioned it and then remember and it would be his idea anyway! haha. Super funny. But he came to church this weekend and stayed for all three hours! The Elders said he seemed to enjoy the lesson this week in priesthood much better than last time so that's really good! He signed up to feed us this week so we are excited for that. He's so adorable. 

Side note: we had dinner at someones house this week and we had hamburgers. We usually eat with the Elders too and one of the elders insisted that hamburgers with peanut butter and jelly is delicious! So we tried it. Peanut butter on one bun, jelly on the other, and then the hamburger patty in the middle! It was actually SUPER good. haha it tasted completely natural! It was crazy! I had never heard of that before, but it was super good :)

Anyway for my spiritual thought this week....I have been studying chapter 5 of PMG a lot this week and it is all about the Book of Mormon. I am also close to finishing the BOM again soon. I love it so much and have learned a lot from it. I get so much out of it, more than I even have before! I also read a talk by Elder Anderson called Trial of your Faith. They worked together really well for me this morning. I read a quote by President Ezra Taft Benson that said, "Every man eventually is backed up to the wall of faith, and there he must make his stand." It had been talking about how the Book of Mormon can overcome any concerns that we or others may have. If we read the Book of Mormon with a sincere heart, we can know that it is true. When we know that is true, we know the church is true, that Christ is real and our Savior, and that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is the Lord's church restored to the Earth. Then I read the talk about faith and it used that exact same quote. It talked about how we all have different trials and how something easy for one person, is a fiery trial for another. It's all because we have different weaknesses and personalities. So when we are going through hard times, we need to turn to the Book of Mormon to find strength, testimony, faith, and answers. We all are going to reach our breaking point sometime, where we question God or the church or our struggles, but then we have to decide whether we will continue to press forward and endure to the end, or if we will let that trial or question destroy us spiritually. I know how important the Book of Mormon is and I know that it is true with my whole heart. I promise that as you seek to for answers and strength form it's pages, that it can solve any concern or problem you have and help you get through any trial that comes your way.

"Like the intense fire that transforms iron into steel, as we remain faithful during the fiery trial of our faith, we are spiritually refined and strengthened." -Elder Anderson


No comments:

Post a Comment